To be successful in anything you do, you are going to have to change the way you think. If you think negatively about yourself and your abilities, you'll never, ever be successful in anything you do. If you think you can't, you won't. However, if you think that you are going to do successfully, baby, I am here to tell you, you will be successful in anything you do.
Are you seeing a pattern here?
The way you think will determine the outcome of your life. Your thoughts determine if you are a failure or a success.
If you think good thoughts about yourself, your abilities, talents and gifts, your actions will surely follow. The same reasoning is true if you think bad thoughts about yourself, your abilities, talents and gifts, then your actions will follow its natural course. The reason why successful people succeed is because they precede their success with successful thoughts about themselves. They are the "can-do" people. Despite the obstacles, despite the circumstances, despite what other people tell them to the contrary, they come up and out smelling like sweet roses every time. The only thing special about these successful people is the way they think about themselves, which is always good. They may be janitors but they are the best janitors their company has and it shows in their actions. These people won't stay janitors for long because they are always thinking upward mobility. They are thinking about climbing the ladder up and not going down. Nothing stands in their way towards success. Why? They believe in themselves. They have confidence in themselves. They envision their success and they go out and take what is rightfully theirs. I am here to tell you, it's true and it works!
Do not conform to negative thinking. Do not believe what they say about you. You are not trash. You are not the bottom of the barrel. Your worth is beyond measure. I am writing to you today to tell you that you have potential!
Here are more facts you have to know. You can't put the cart before the horse. There are some things that only work one way and one way only.
- A right action does not change wrong thinking. You can work-out but unless you believe you can and will lose weight, you will never lose weight. Eventually, your wrong thinking will crop up like crab grass and cause your right actions to cease. Then the vicious cycle will start up again. You get upset and discouraged and you start overeating again. It is like this with every other issue in your life as well. How many executives do you know that are miserable, crabby people? They have the job. They have the money and they are still unhappy. That's an example of the product of wrong thinking.
- Positive thoughts will change wrong actions. When you start washing your brain with good thoughts about yourself, it is inevitable that your actions will follow. There is no way that you can be positive about yourself and let's say, commit suicide. You cannot wake up one morning, feeling and thinking good things about yourself and decide that you're going to kill yourself. When you're positive about yourself, no matter what situation you are in, no matter what station in life you find yourself right now, there is hope. And you cannot help but follow down that bright path.
- Don't take to heart the negative comments that people have spoken about you. Right or wrong, you will have detractors. Your bright light reminds them of how terribly sour their lives are. Instead of taking your brilliant example to heart, they'll try to bring you down to their pit of mud and despair. Refuse to listen. Better yet, avoid these people as much as possible. You cannot afford to be around these soul sucking parasites.
- Find and cultivate a network of people that will be a benefit to you. Hang out with people that edify and not destroy you, that add and not take away from you. You have no time for gossip or any of that other negative life hindering junk. Remember, successful people breed successful people (We will discuss this in my fourth installment: "Surround Yourself with Winners").
- Be balanced with your positive thoughts. Do not think you are superior to anyone else. You will certainly sabotage your climb to success. No one likes an arrogant person. These kinds of people are annoying. Arrogant people never have the goods to back up their perceived superiority. That's why they need to boost their ego on the account of everyone else. They have nothing to offer.
- Be aware of what you read, watch and listen. Whatever we allow in the sanctuary of our minds, believe it or not, has a major influence on how we think and act. Not everything we read, watch and listen is healthy for us. Like junk food, junk media has a negative impact on our inner being. Devouring positive healthy media builds a strong inner core. It is a solid foundation on which to build our new healthy positive attitude. My personal preferred healthy media is the Bible. Along with the Bible, I also read other books that inspire me and teach me. I have done away with media that does nothing but waste my time. When I read, if I find myself beginning to feel negative, I lay it down. The same is true for any media; shows, music, videos or games. Nothing good has ever come from negativity.There you have it - a basic outline in which to build a healthy thought process. In the next installment of this five part series, we will learn the importance of words.
Speaking like a winner has a great positive impact on your surroundings and your inner being.
It's OK to love yourself, speak good words over yourself and others! You'll see!
Don't miss it!