“Part of LATISM’s long-term vision is to give back. The fact that our first Toy Drive and Fundraiser is aimed to benefit both children in Latin America and at home is yet another innovative example of how LATISM is using new media to benefit our community at large,” said Louis Pagan, Co-founder of LATISM.
"Being Latino's goal has always been the betterment of our community. Through establishing relationships with organizations such as LATISM, we can reach a much wider audience and spread our word to new ears. As a big brother, I understand the importance of giving back to underserved communities and have seen the impact one can make in a life with very little effort," said Lance Rios, Founder of Being Latino.
The partnership between LATISM and Being Latino has two primary goals:
- To collect at least 400 toys which can be distributed to children who may otherwise not have any presents this Christmas.
- To raise at least $1000 in monetary funds to help programs working for the survival, basic education and health needs of disadvantaged children in Latin America.
- TOY DRIVE: Thanks to generous donations from their sponsors, Time To Play, Ingenio and Discovery Toys, LATISM and Being Latino will be donating new unwrapped bilingual Educational toys to the Latino Outreach Center of the Children’s Aid Society, located in Washington Heights, New York City. The toys will be distributed to poor Latino children in the area.
- FUNDRAISER: LATISM and Being Latino will be collecting donations from their joint online networks. These monetary donations will benefit UNICEF, the United Nations Children’s Fund, and be distributed through UNICEF to centers aiding disadvantaged children in Latin America.
TOY DRIVE/FUNDRAISER LAUNCH DETAILS:
WHAT: Live Twitter Party
WHEN: December 30th 2009, 8pm EST
WHERE: Twitter (use hashtag #latismtoydrive or enter latismtoydrive on TweetChat.com – you must have a Twitter account).
Potential donors can help by:
- Participating in LATISM’s live Twitter party to raise awareness about the Toy Drive.
- Making a monetary donation ONLINE through our Chipin/PayPal account. Monetary donations will be accepted until January 3rd, 2010. Details on the latism.org page.
- Making a toy donation by sending new, unwrapped toys to: The Children’s Aid Society -105 East 22nd St, New York, NY 10010. Please use codename: LATISMTOYDRIVE09. Toy donations will be accepted until January 3rd, 2010.
- Following and Retweeting our Toy Drive message using #latismtoydrive on Twitter.
- Writing about it on their blog. Please contact eramos[.]elianneramos.com for press materials.
- Posting up the LATISM/Being Latino Toy Drive/Fundraising widget on their blog. Details on the latism.org page.
- Broadcasting our link through FaceBook & LinkedIn pages/groups.
Toy Drive and Donations totals, as well as ceremony pictures will be posted at our Latism.org website on January 6, 2010. For further information, please call Elianne Ramos, LATISM DC Media Relations Manager, at 646-932-7752 or Louis Pagan, LATISM Co-Founder, at 347-688-5385.